After the Christmas Day divine service, District Apostle J Kriel addressed the members of NAC-SA providing updates on the following topics:
- Prevention strategies against the spread of COVID-19;
- Suspension of in-presence divine services and
- Serving of Holy Communion.
My dear brothers and sisters, dear friends, and guests, once again, it has become necessary to announce our responses to increased COVID-19 infections. We are in a confirmed 2nd wave and certain regions require immediate and decisive action.
1. Prevention strategies
We have been briefed on the increased infections of COVID-19 and are all aware of the news reports confirming a new variant of the virus. Allow me to use this opportunity to once again remind all of us: Please take extreme care during the festive period. Most of us are enjoying annual leave, but the virus does not take a break. Before engaging in an activity where you might be at risk of infection, please consider the frontline workers who put their lives on the line and continue to battle to assist the thousands who are suffering. Many hospitals are currently running at greater than 100% capacity. With this in mind, please remember to:
• Wear your mask properly and ensure that it covers your mouth and nose.
• Wash your hands regularly with soap and water or sanitise your hands
with 70% alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
• Maintain a safe social distance of 1.5m or more
• Avoid social gatherings and remain in your household bubble (only the
people who live in the same house)
2. Suspension of in-presence divine services (excluding Mozambique)
Based on the latest medical information and advice, along with your Apostles, I have decided to suspend all in-presence divine services until further notice. This will take effect immediately. Today is thus the last divine service in congregations until you are informed to return. The Church is also a citizen of our country and we want to support the efforts to flatten the curve of this 2nd wave. We will continue to have a divine service broadcasted every Sunday at 09h00 with our radio and TV partners.
3. Serving of Holy Communion
Considering the aforementioned information and the continuous rise in the number of infections, Priests visits to your homes are also suspended until further notice.